The backup engineer is accountable for installing, configuring, monitoring, reporting, troubleshooting and maintaining all backup technologies in client environments. The ideal candidate will have hands on troubleshooting with the targeted systems, including Windows and Linux as well as core applications such as Exchange and SQL. They should have experience with traditional Enterprise platforms such as Netbackup and Avamar, as well as having experience with newer cloud based platforms such as Evault and Azure backup. Alphaserve is a MSP managing multiple client’s backup platforms so the ideal candidate will be ready to learn multiple different backup technologies.
Tools for the Job
- Backup Technologies (70%)
- Windwos administration (10%)
- Exchange/SQL (5%)
- VMware (5%)
Backup Technologies: Netbackup, Avamar, Commvault, Evault, DataDomain, Intronis
Job Responsibility (Day to Day)
- Perform daily monitoring and management of the backup implemented for customers; monitor backup jobs, execute restore jobs, troubleshoot failed jobs, and initiate corrective action.
- Create Knowledge Base articles of operational tasks to streamline support and empower first level support to resolve issues on a first call basis.
- Perform problem management and incident correlation on re-occurring issues; suggest and document workarounds and solutions.
- Be an escalation point on all backup issues
- Perform diagnosis, troubleshoot, and conduct root-cause analysis for any issues escalated on the backup platforms
- Collaborate with other members of the senior team on design and troubleshooting issues; provide customers with best-in-breed solutions.
- Create and provide reports for backup and storage environments and related activities and tasks.
- Be on call to act as a final level of escalation before resorting to vendor support
- Review optimal server infrastructure in support of new applications by researching and recommending hardware/software technologies per application requirements.
- Enhances functionality of systems by developing and modifying scripts to automate system processes.
- Provides support to application developers/programmers by providing technical knowledge and guidance.
- Hands on experience required with ITSM tools ie. Service-Now, Remedy etc.
- 3+ years’ experience in supporting multiple backup solutions and troubleshooting targeted client device backup failures.
- Experience installing and configuring various backup clients.
- Prior experience with enterprise ticketing systems, such as ServiceNow
- Systems Administration experience (Windows)
- Experience with troubleshooting Microsoft platforms
- Technical Writing and Documentation Skills
- Backup and Restore experience (HA for Virtual environment, EMC, NetApp)
- Understanding and execution of ITIL framework (Especially; Problem, Change Management, RCA and RFC process and procedures)
- Should be well versed in communication (English, Written and Oral) and be able to co-ordinate efficiently with onsite sub-ordinates and direct in-line managers
- Provide excellent customer service to internal IT customers and application owners and users.